Welcome to the online component for the Ethical Dimensions of Educational Technologies workshop.
To maximize collaboration and discussion in the face-to-face session on May 22nd, we are asking that you take some time between now and then to complete a few online activities: reading two online articles, watching/listening to three online media pieces, and reflecting on three questions.
If you have any questions, concerns, or technical issues when working through these materials, contact Emily Schudel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
And now, here is your homework! We look forward to seeing you on May 22nd!
1. Reflect on the following three questions, and come prepared to discuss your answers with your fellow participants:
- What one thing stood out for you from the readings and media pieces you will be reviewing?
- What one question do you have regarding ethical issues for your own use of educational technology?
- What do you know about Camosun’s policies around the use of online technology to support teaching and learning?
2. Read the following two articles
- Exploring the Ethical Considerations of Technology Use With Your Students (https://www.emergingedtech.com/2017/09/exploring-the-ethical-considerations-of-technology-with-your-students/)
- Ethics in educational technology: towards a framework for ethical decision making in and for the discipline (https://libsecure.camosun.bc.ca:2443/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=tfh&AN=118886770&site=eds-live) – NOTE you will be required to log in with your Camosun ID and password to read this article
3. Watch/listen to the three media pieces embedded below
Reflections on Online Safety
Surveillance Capital (privacy, agency, access)
(The above videos can also be found at: https://towards-openness.org/workshop/interventions/)